Using e-cigarettes to stop smoking
In recent years, e-cigarettes have become a very popular stop smoking aid in the UK. Also known as vapes or e-cigs, they're far less harmful than cigarettes and can help you quit smoking for good.
What are e-cigarettes and how do they work?
An e-cigarette is a device that allows you to inhale nicotine in a vapour rather than smoke.
E-cigarettes do not burn tobacco and do not produce tar or carbon monoxide, two of the most damaging elements in tobacco smoke.
They work by heating a liquid that typically contains nicotine, propylene glycol and/or vegetable glycerine, and flavourings.
Using an e-cigarette is known as vaping.
What types of e-cigarette are there?
There are a variety of models available:
- Cigalikes look similar to tobacco cigarettes and can be disposable or rechargeable.
- Vape pens are shaped like a pen or small tube, with a tank to store e-liquid, replaceable coils and rechargeable batteries.
- Pod systems are compact rechargeable devices, often shaped like a USB stick or a pebble, with e-liquid capsules.
- Mods come in different shapes and sizes, but are generally the largest e-cigarette devices. They have a refillable tank, longer lasting rechargeable batteries, and variable power.
How do I choose the right e-cigarette for me?
A rechargeable e-cigarette with a refillable tank delivers nicotine more effectively and quickly than a disposable model and is likely to give you a better chance of quitting smoking.
- If you're a lighter smoker, you could try a cigalike, vape pen or pod system.
- If you're a heavier smoker, it's advisable to try a vape pen, pod system or mod.
- It's also important to choose the right strength of e-liquid to satisfy your needs.
A specialist vape shop can help find the right device and liquid for you.
Will an e-cigarette help me stop smoking?
Many thousands of people in the UK have already stopped smoking with the help of an e-cigarette. There's growing evidence that they can be effective.
Using an e-cigarette can help you manage your nicotine cravings. To get the best out of it, make sure you're using it as much as you need to and with the right strength of nicotine in your e-liquid.
A major UK clinical trial published in 2019 found that, when combined with expert face-to-face support, people who used e-cigarettes to quit smoking were twice as likely to succeed as people who used other nicotine replacement products, such as patches or gum.
Getting expert help from your local stop smoking service gives you the best chance of quitting smoking for good.
How safe are e-cigarettes?
In the UK, e-cigarettes are tightly regulated for safety and quality.
They're not completely risk free, but they carry a small fraction of the risk of cigarettes.
E-cigarettes do not produce tar or carbon monoxide, two of the most harmful elements in tobacco smoke.